Monday, February 20, 2012

Whitney Houston : When Death Exhales Life


Life Lessons We Can Learn From Her Death
18th of February 2011
11:05 P.M.
Honestly, I had cold feet about doing this. Apart from one of my pet peeves being people saying all that were wrong with a celebrity's life at their death and this blog not being a gossip, I really don’t know how to tell other people’s stories well. And in fact sometimes when I try in all sincerity to draw another man’s story from my mouth, it falls flat like gossip, like hard peas boiled half way in the mouth, unoriginal is the best word. I have chosen to tell this cause I found my own story in it. Yes, I’m talking about Whitney Houston and it’s not just my story, but OUR story I find in this woman’s story. Let me tell you how.

Whitney passed on the 11th of February and at first I was shocked at the news. Can I make a confession right here on my blog? I cried, I literally cried. The news couldn’t have caught me at a more vulnerable time than that. Waking up at 4 am to hear that someone whose voice had put smiles on your face on bluesy days wasn’t here anymore has got away of opening up something deep in your heart.  I got up and put on her song ‘I didn’t know my own strength’ one that really spoke to me during a very hard time. It was then the hot tears came, I thought she was gonna make another record; I thought she was gonna come back stronger, bounce back like they say when people got overwhelmed by the weight of the world we live in. I thought so many good things for her and it just pained my heart that she left just like that. I said some prayers, hoped she was in a better place and had some reflections. I couldn’t make any conclusions on why this happen, so I picked up my devo and moved on into the day. That was a week back.

Tonight as I watched her funeral, I saw a good in all the bad, I saw the hand of God moving in all that had happen even a week back. I saw how God was taking the painful things the enemy meant to harm the hearts of her loved ones and was using it to bring forth his glory and praise. Yes, she wasn’t going to make another record, yes she was gone and I and lot of people were so sad about that but her funeral was held in a church broadcasted live via CNN to approximately 170 million people. Now that was a miracle, people who didn’t even know her were watching her funeral. And I’m wondering the number of people who would have come to the knowledge of Christ through this one broadcast. I’m wondering the number of people that this drove to pursue a deeper intimacy with Christ. I’m wondering the number of wayward humans whose heart broke at hearing her eulogy. I’m wondering the number of those who had gave up on the Christian faith before but had an opportunity to see it in new light that very hour. I’m wondering and still wondering.

A friend of mine on Facebook of whom I’m sure didn’t know what was going on quoted the pastor referring to him as #TheBlackManOnCNN. Someone also said this (which I really loved) ”There is finally GOOD NEWS on CNN #JESUS #HOPEOFTHEWORLD”

The point is God used one modern, relevant and broken woman’s story (who was trying to comeback stronger after a setback) to show forth his glory. Last week I thought her story was ended and I was so sad and sorry but I am not God and I don’t see as he sees, His ways, far higher than mine. When I only see the rough back side of the embroidery on the clothing, he sees the beautiful pattern on the outside.
And this is where our stories come in. where are you, how are you doing and what are you going through? Do you think it’s the end? Have people told you that your situation is ‘dead’. Please remember the faithfulness and sovereignty of God through the death of beloved Whitney Houston today. 

As I write this, playing over the air waves is my favorite of hers ‘I didn’t know my own strength’ and I’m asking myself ‘What can God not do?’. As I leave you with the lyrics of the song from Whitney Houston I hope we come to learn and realize day by day that God sees parts of the scene we aren’t seeing and I also hope this thrusts us into trusting him . . . with everything, Yes EVERYTHING.

P.S.- I was actually meant to post a different post today but I had to change at the last minute. I would be posting 'Antsy' on Friday. I can't wait for you to read it, it would bless your heart :)

I Didn't Know My Own Strength by Whitney Houston

Lost touch with my soul I had nowhere to turn, I had nowhere to go  
Lost sight of my dream Thought it would be the end of me
I, I thought I'd never make it through I had no hope to hold on to I, I thought I would break

I didn't know my own strength And I crashed down and I tumbled, but I did not crumble I got through all the pain  
I didn't know my own strength
Survived my darkest hour, my faith kept me alive I picked myself back up, hold my head up high I was not built to break I didn't know my own strength

Found hope in my heart I found the light to life my way out of the dark Found all that I need here inside of me
Oh, I thought I'd never find my way I thought I'd never lift that weight I thought I would break

I didn't know my own strength And I crashed down and I tumbled, but I did not crumble I got through all the pain I didn't know my own strength
Survived my darkest hour, my faith kept me alive I picked myself back up, hold my head up high I was not built to break I didn't know my own strength

There were so many times I wondered how I'd get through the night I thought I took all that I could take

I didn't know my own strength And I crashed down and I tumbled, but I did not crumble I got through all the pain Oh, I didn't know my own strength
My faith kept me alive I picked myself back up, I hold my head up high I was not built to break I didn't know my own strength
I was not built to break, no, no I got to know my own strength

1 comment:

  1. May she RIP, Check Out The Latest Nigerian Entertainment Gist HERE

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...